Friday, June 14, 2013

Overkill Backup

A 3-Terrabyte backup disk is too much space!

I thought I needed a good backup system which could handle data from two laptop computers so I went to my friendly neighborhood computer shop and searched for the cheapest I could get. There were disks that cost 700HKD for 2-Terrabytes and 899 for 3-Terrabytes while other brands of the same capacity were from 100 to 300 HKD more.

I only need 1.5 Terabytes of backup space (one laptop has 1-tb disk space, and the other has 0.5, so a 2-Tb disk should have been okay. However, if you compute the amount per terabyte, it seems like adding an extra terabyte of space was a steal, right?

After backing up my data from the 1-tb laptop, I only used up 300 GB (0.3tb) of space! So I over-bought space that I may not need after all. What a waste of money. That's because I ended up buying a 3-tb Seagate Expansion disk for 899HKD.

Now, the disk itself was fine. The transfer rate of raw copying of files (no compression) was from 85 to 100 mb/s using USB 3 interface. I got what I needed: a lot of space and fast I/O.

If you want backup software instead of using windows explorer, you need to get one of those disks that come with backup software.

One thing I wasn't able to do was make a system backup using Lenovo Onekey Recovery software that's already in my laptop. I've set it up to the point where you click the "Start" button to start making the recovery disk but it just wouldn't budge. The start button was not clickable (not a processing option at that stage). I wonder why...

In all, I'm again happy with my purchase albeit a little bit overkill for my needs.

No comments:

Post a Comment