Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Windows 8 Experience Using Lenovo G480A with i7 Processor

I've come to like Lenovo laptops. I was so happy with my Lenovo Thinkpad Edge with i3 processor in the past 3 years. The laptop is still good, still like new but I used up almost all of its 500 gigabytes of disk space it was starting to lag.

I made sure it was the disk space that was the problem by deleting most of the data in the drive C (system disk) and run the applications that I thought was lagging, and yes, they ran so well again.

I can't leave my "data" in backup disks, I need to have them with my laptop wherever I am. So I need to get something with a bigger capacity hard disk. I therefore went to my favorite Sham Shui Po Golden Computer Center and shopped around.
I wasn't willing to spend more than 5,000 HK$ for a new laptop and there were many candidates. But the ones I liked (by reputation)  all exceeded the budget! So I made a compromise with the G480A with i7 processor at HK$5,500. It was a very good decision (up to this time).

My Windows 8 experience is not very immersive (lol). I always click on the Desktop icon and work in a Windows 7 like environment! I learned some shortcuts (e.g. Windows Key + R to run an application directly, Windows Key + B for desktop, etc.) and how to hover my mouse in the lower right corner to display the Windows Widgets Control and I'm fine. That's all I need at this time.

After transferring all my data from my old Thinkpad Edge to this new laptop, I still have a lot left in the 1TB disk!

My applications (Photoshop 4, MS Office, Browsers, etc.) are all flying! The i7 processor, 1TB hard disk, 8GB Ram, and the extra 24GB SSD that came with the system I'm sure are the reasons for this wonderful performance. I'm glad I paid the extra 500HK$ and chose this system. I can't be happier with this recent purchase.

1 comment:

  1. I encountered a puzzling problem regarding the numlock key. Once turned on, it's so difficult to turn off and it caused havoc in using the keys!

    I tried all options that I know including messing with the registry but they didn't work. The only solution is to attach a usb keyboard and press the physical numlock key to unlock/lock. Crazy isn't it?

    ReplyDelete